15-STEP LIST : HOW TO BE [GOOD TO YOUR MOMMY]
This is written with my 4, 6 and 7 year old boys in mind.
1. Remember that mommy’s job is to love you, to teach you and to keep you safe. There isn’t always room to make you your happiest while fulfilling her duty, but she always tries.
2. Pick one day a week and make a decision to not whine. One day. No whining.
3. When mommy says to get in the car, grab your stuff, put on your shoes, get in the car and buckle up. This is not a time for questions or requests. No excuses. Just get in the car.
4. When your brother talks to you, answer him. Don’t make him keep calling you. If mommy can hear him, you can hear him. Answer him.
5. When mommy hugs you, hug her back. You used to. She is your safe place.
6. Love each other (your siblings). Every day.
7. Between the hours of 9pm and 7am, don’t use the word mommy, mom, mama or anything like it, unless there is an emergency. A real emergency.
8. Go To Sleep.
9. Believe that when mommy is making eye contact with you and is less than 6 feet away, she is watching you. She sees what you are showing her. You don’t have to re-verify that fact every 12 seconds.
10. Stop eating dirt. Stop licking things. Stop tasting rocks. Please.
11. Do what your mother says, at least 75% of the time.
12. Learn from the mistakes your mom made. She is older, wiser and chances are she’s tried it. She’s telling you specifically because she wants to save you from her upset.
13. Eat what she makes you.
14. Tidy up your room. Do a good job. Do it without being asked.
15. Brush your teeth. No crying. No bartering. It’s 2 minutes out of your life. Brush them!
and one more – give mommy a few minutes to do nothing. it doesn’t mean she loves you less when she is not devoting all her attention to you. she needs to remember herself before she was your mommy because she loves being your mommy so much, sometimes she forgets who she was before.
Here’s more on the Creative Writing Challenge